Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Great Question! - Cancelling excess interviews?

A fortunate student who received a lot of early interview offers asked...

I’m thankfully in a position where I have gotten a lot of interviews offers, including many of my top choices.

I’m starting to make a more concise top choice list of programs and want to begin releasing interviews that I am less interested in to make room for other applicants. 

I’ve read varying things about releasing interviews, with some suggesting you just cancel on interview broker and some suggesting you should email programs explaining as well. 
  • Do you know which programs prefer? 
  • Should I preemptively withdraw from any programs I have not heard from that are lower on my list than my current interviews?

These are great questions and I am glad you are thinking about purging your interview list.  

You can withdraw from programs lower down your list that you have not heard from, or simply wait to decline until they offer you a spot.  Waiting does not interfere with others getting interviews. 

You can just release/cancel interviews in ERAS or interview broker.  I would only email them if they handle all their scheduling themselves.  Nobody needs more email or phone calls this time of year.  Programs appreciate you giving us as much notice as possible to find someone else to fill that interview spot.  

- Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment